UPDATE: 9/25/08 -- SquareTrade for iPhone 3G
Alright, so you got an iPhone 3G. And you probably love it. Either that, or you're still working on getting used to it and you'll love it in a couple of days. But love it or kinda love it, the fact is, you just parted with a huge chunk of change for the little device.
Take a look at it. It's flawless and sleek and wonderful.... and fragile. That's probably why AT&T has excluded it from insurance availability and AppleCare won't cover accidental damage. And if you bought yours from Best Buy, they'll charge you a whopping $360 for two years of phone insurance. That's probably more than you paid for the phone in the first place!! So, we started thinking: iPhone insurance, hmmmm....
We've put our heads together here at SquareTrade to come up with a plan that makes sense. One that won't rip you off. One that you can count on to be there in case that slippery sucker winds up face down on the sidewalk or in a puddle of coffee on your desk. No $360 iPhone insurance for our customers, that's for sure!
Here's what we put together:
$77 for two years of coverage -- that's only $3.20 a month! Best Buy is charging nearly FIVE TIMES as much! Woah.
- Manufacturer defects and device failures are covered for two years.
- Accidental damage from handling -- damage caused from dropping, cracked screen, spilling on the phone etc. -- all covered.
- 5-day Service Guarantee. If we can't fix it by then, we'll pay you CASH for the full replacement value of your phone (which would amount to even more cash than you shelled out for your phone in the first place).
- Top-notch customer service and a hassle free claims process. Check out our reviews on epinions, NexTag, and ResellerRatings for proof. (Note: We know most people despise the whole claims process and think it's a huge pain, so we've committed to never giving SquareTraders the run-around. We work hard at giving the best customer service and that's why we're so proud of how much our customers love us. Like, beaming, my-kid-made-the-honor-roll proud.)
- Online warranty management. You don't have to deal with a bunch of paperwork. Just enroll online and you're done. You can view your contract, make a claim, view history, etc. right from the SquareTrade Warranty Management Tool. Nobody else offers that convenience.
And for those of you deciding on iPhone insurance or considering AppleCare vs. us, here are your options:
SquareTrade has been in business since 1999. Our warranties are financially backed by an A rated insurer and we’re the leading provider of extended warranties on eBay. We’ve even got an online management system for you to manage your warranty. Long story short, we know what we’re doing, and we’re good at it.
Updated 9/21/08: Our new iPhone warranty with ADH plan is a great deal, starting at $77. For a little more than AppleCare, you get two years of protection against drops, spills and other accidents from handling. Our data shows that 80% of iPhone failures come from these types of accidents - they're slippery suckers, if you haven't noticed! In addition, you get hardware coverage equivalent to that of the AppleCare warranty. If something does happen, we’ll either fix it, or pay you the full replacement price of the iPhone – All within 5 days. Guaranteed.
Apple offers an AppleCare Extended warranty. It basically extends their 1-year warranty for an additional year for $69. Simple, safe, but it won’t cover your accidental damages – and it is expensive.
Unfortunately, there aren’t any good solutions to protecting yourself from losing the iPhone. The best advice is to hang on to the phone, and be conscious of where it is at all times.